BizFed Institute, LA County, LA Delegation, Hospital Association of Southern California and SEIU Los Angeles Locals to Provide Personal Protective Equipment Supplies to All Frontline Workers
LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CA — The BizFed Institute (BFI) has formed an unprecedented partnership with all 39 State Senators and Assemblymembers representing Los Angeles County, Los Angeles County, the Hospital Association of Southern California (HASC), Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Los Angeles Locals, along with the Los Angeles County Business Federation (BizFed) 195 business associations representing more than 400,000 employers. This effort is in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic to mass mobilize the collection and donation of much needed personal protective equipment (PPE) supplies to protect frontline workers.
"The BizFed partnership shows what we can do when we all work together for the greater good. SEIU school workers are distributing food to hungry families, and SEIU social workers are keeping track of vulnerable elders and continuing to rescue abused children. This partnership will bring much needed and welcome protection to the frontline workers serving us all," said Bob Schoonover, President of SEIU Local 721.
“The BizFed Institute, with its vast connections to business and civic leaders will facilitate this unique regional effort to turn over every stone to find safety equipment for our workers and ensure that all people who want to be involved can make a donation” said BizFed Institute Chair and National Community Renaissance CEO, Steve PonTell.
"Every part of our society must come together to protect the most vulnerable among us and the people who offer their time, their hearts, and their hard work to care for them. Nursing home workers and other long-term care workers are deeply grateful to every partner who is stepping up to fill this need," said April Verrett, President of SEIU Local 2015, representing long-term workers.
“These efforts compliment the strong leadership we have seen from Governor Gavin Newsom and our elected leaders,” said Assemblymember Sydney Kamlager, chair of the LA County Legislative Delegation. “This partnership is business and labor coming together, understanding the severity of this crisis and striving to protect the workers who protect us.”
“By leveraging these distinctive partnerships, we are reaching every corner of our County and protecting those heroes who are on the front line,” stated Kathryn Barger, chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.
“During these unprecedented times, it’s imperative that we assist our health care community in every way possible,” concluded George W. Greene, Esq., President/CEO of the Hospital Association of Southern California. “Multisector partnerships such as this one are providing our health care heroes with the essential resources to continue delivering the exceptional care that our communities deserve.”
The BizFed Institute asks all members and partners to take immediate action and make a monetary or in-kind tax-deductible contribution by visiting bizfedinstitute.org/covid-19-supplies.
LOS ANGELES COUNTY DELEGATION MEMBERS
- Christy Smith, Joint Legislative Committee on Emergency Management – Chair
- Tom Lackey, Assembly Public Safety Committee – Vice Chair
- Luz Rivas, Assembly Select Committee on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math – Chair
- Chris Holden, Assembly Utilities and Energy Committee – Chair
- Laura Friedman, Assembly Natural Resources Committee – Chair
- Jacqui Irwin, Assembly Veterans Affairs Committee – Chair
- Jesse Gabriel, Select Committee on Jobs and Innovation in the San Fernando Valley – Chair Adrin Nazarian, Assembly Aging and Long Term Care Committee – Chair
- Blanca Rubio, Assembly Select Committee on Domestic Violence – Chair
- Ed Chau, Assembly Privacy and Consumer Protection Committee – Chair
- Richard Bloom, Assembly Budget Subcommittee on Resources and Transportation – Chair
- Wendy Carrillo, Select Committee on Uplifting Girls and Women of Color in CA – Chair
- Freddie Rodriguez, Assembly Public Employment and Retirement Committee – Chair
- Miguel Santiago, Assembly Communications and Conveyance Committee – Chair
- Sydney Kamlager, Los Angeles County Delegation – Chair
- Phillip Chen, Assembly Banking and Finance Committee – Vice Chair
- Ian Calderon, Assembly Majority Leader
- Christina Garcia, Joint Legislative Committee on Climate Change Policies – Chair
- Reginald Byron Jones-Sawyer, Sr., Assembly Public Safety – Chair
- Autumn Burke, Assembly Revenue and Taxation Committee – Chair
- Anthony Rendon, Speaker of the Assembly
- Mike Gipson, Assembly Select Committee on Gun Violence in Communities of Color – Chair Sharon Quirk-Silva, Assembly Select Committee on Orange County Chronic Homelessness – Chair
- Al Muratsuchi, Assembly Select Committee on Aerospace – Chair
- Patrick O’Donnell, Assembly Education Committee – Chair
- Robert Hertzberg, Senate Majority Leader
- Connie Leyva, Women’s Caucus Chair Scott Wilk, Senate Rules Committee – Vice Chair
- Susan Rubio, Senate Insurance Committee – Chair
- Maria Elena Durazo, Latino Caucus Vice-Chair
- Anthony Portantino, Senate Appropriations Committee – Chair
- Ben Allen, Jewish Caucus Chair
- Henry Stern, Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee – Chair
- Ling Ling Chang, Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development – Vice Chair
- Holly J. Mitchell, Senate Budget and Fiscal Committee – Chair
- Bob Archuleta, Senate Veterans Affairs Committee – Chair
- Lena Gonzalez, Senate Select Committee on Ports and Goods Movement – Chair
- Thomas Umberg, Senate Elections and Constitutional Amendments Committee – Chair
- Steven Bradford, Senate Banking and Financial Institutions Committee –Chair
About BizFed Institute (BFI)
The BizFed Institute educates, engages, equips and measures consensus solutions from civically minded, nonprofit, academic, and regional thought leaders for the purpose of building strong communities throughout California.
Assemblywoman Christy Smith represents California’s 38th Assembly District, which includes the communities of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Agua Dulce, Castaic, Santa Susana Knolls and North San Fernando Valley.