Assemblywoman Smith Celebrates Senior Appreciation Day with Resource Fair, Check Presentation
SANTA CLARITA, CA — Oct. 2 is the 38th Assembly District’s Senior Appreciation Day! Join Assemblywoman Christy Smith (D-Santa Clarita) for a resource fair, featuring local and state agencies and non-profit organizations that will be delivering resources and information to seniors, their families and caregivers. Hosted in partnership with Bella Vida (Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center), the event will also feature informational seminars regarding fraud prevention, the REAL ID, the Medi-Cal program and more.
In addition, Assemblywoman Smith will be presenting a $450,000 check to the Bella Vida (Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center) on Wednesday. The $450,000, awarded as a grant from the 2019 California State Budget and a direct result of Assemblywoman Smith’s advocacy, will go toward the Senior Center’s efforts to close the funding gap in the construction of its new site. The funds round out the $700,000 the Assemblywoman secured for the Simi Valley Free Clinic and the $397,000 obtained for the College of Canyons modernization of Boykin Hall.
When: Wednesday, Oct. 2 at 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Resource Fair (Information booths will be here for the entire duration.)
- California Department of Motor Vehicles (processing FREE REAL non-drivers license senior IDs & federally non-compliant IDs)
- Los Angeles County Registrar's Office (demonstrating new voting machines in preparation of next election)
- The SCAN Foundation (presenting "My Care, My Choice: Navigating the Medicare/Medi-Cal program")
- California Department of Insurance
- California Telephone Access Program
- Los Angeles County Department of Social Services
- Los Angeles County District Attorney - Consumer Protection Division
- Workforce Development Aging and Community Services (WDACS)
- Alzheimer's Association
- Office of Congresswoman Katie Hill
- Office of Supervisor Katherine Barger
- 9:30 a.m. to 10:10 a.m. Class No. 1: Senior Scam Stopper
- 10:20 a.m. to 11 a.m. Class No. 2: Real ID Seminar
- 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Lunch & Check Presentation (Lunch is free of charge, and there will be live music.)
- 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Ice Cream Social Hour
- 1:15 p.m. to 1:50 p.m. Class No. 3: CalFresh and Social Services Seminar
- 2 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Class No. 4: Medicare & Medi-Cal Seminar
Where: Bella Vida (Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center)
27180 Golden Valley Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91350
Contact: Danni Wang, firstname.lastname@example.org, (661) 286-1565
“We owe it to our seniors to connect them to every possible resource to support their well-being and ability to thrive in our community,” Assemblywoman Smith said. “It was important to me to support the Senior Center in their expanded efforts and make sure our older adult community is taken care of.”
“We’re grateful to Assemblywoman Smith for her advocacy of efforts to secure funding for the Senior Center and her partnership with us for the resource fair,” Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center Executive Director Kevin MacDonald said. “She has been an advocate and supporter of the Senior Center, and we appreciate it.”
For RSVPs, please email Danni Wang at email@example.com.
Assemblywoman Christy Smith represents California’s 38th Assembly District, which includes the communities of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Agua Dulce, Castaic, Santa Susana Knolls and North San Fernando Valley.