Assemblywoman Smith Sends Seven Bills to Governor’s Desk, with Four Already Signed into Law
SACRAMENTO, CA – With her bills approved by the Legislature, Assemblywoman Christy Smith (D-Santa Clarita) announced the status of her 2019 legislative package Friday. Seven bills currently await the Governor’s signature:
- Assembly Bill (AB) 543 makes school sexual harassment resources accessible.
- AB 629 helps victims of human trafficking leave a vicious, life-threatening cycle and get back on their feet.
- ABs 967 and 1507 update the California Charter Schools Act, creating clarity and equity.
- AB 1233 waives AP exam fees for low-income students and foster youth.
- AB 1637 works with the State Controller’s Office to streamline the unclaimed property request process.
- AB 1729 increases high school enrollment in summer community college courses.
The bills round out four additional bills by Assemblywoman Smith already signed into law:
- AB 853 allows ScholarShare to pay for expenses associated with college such as rent, textbooks and rent, expanding college affordability.
- AB 1051 updates the course load cap for nursing faculty to build the pipeline of nurses
- AB 1106 extends the Enhanced Homeowners’ Notification Program, which empowers homeowners and saves homes from foreclosure.
- AB 1336 champions child safety by funding more childhood unintentional injury preventative programs.
“It’s an immense honor to serve the community of the 38th Assembly District and 40 million people throughout California,” Assemblywoman Smith said. “My legislative package reflects promises of the California Dream, one that advocates everyone’s access to a better life through education equity, homeowner protections and government efficiency. As we power on, I am excited to continue our district-led agenda to continue our advocacy to establish a fairer, stronger and greater California.”
Assemblywoman Christy Smith represents California’s 38th Assembly District, which includes the communities of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Agua Dulce, Castaic, Santa Susana Knolls and North San Fernando Valley.
CONTACT: Danni.Wang@asm.ca.gov, (661) 286-1565