Assemblywoman Christy Smith Secures Funding for Critical 38th Assembly District, Statewide Services
SACRAMENTO, CA — Assemblywoman Christy Smith (D-Santa Clarita) announced the following efforts were incorporated into the 2019-2020 California State Budget, following Governor Gavin Newsom’s signing. The funds will support important services across the 38th Assembly District and California.
District-specific budget items:
- $397,000 for College of the Canyons modernization of Boykin Hall
- $450,000 for Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center
- $700,000 for Free Clinic of Simi Valley
- $5 million for the establishment of a childcare center for California State University (CSU), Channel Islands
Statewide budget items:
- $130 million investment in clean drinking water projects
- Nearly $1 billion to strengthen emergency preparedness resources and technologies, including wildfire prevention, safety and recovery
- Qualifies middle-income Californians to apply for subsidized health insurance
- Funding to support small business development and expansion
- Significant increases in funding for the California State University and University of California (UC) systems to prevent student tuition increases and allow expanded student enrollment
“The 38th Assembly District has been historically underserved and overlooked by the state, so I am proud to shepherd crucial dollars back to our community,” Assemblywoman Smith said. “With the Governor’s signature, a fiscally solvent budget that not only pays down our debt but also stores funds into reserve goes into effect. It has been a pleasure working with my colleagues to pass the 2019-2020 California State Budget, and I look forward to our continued collaboration to fortify our state.”
Assemblywoman Christy Smith represents California’s 38th Assembly District, which includes the communities of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Agua Dulce, Castaic, Santa Susana Knolls and North San Fernando Valley.
CONTACT: Danni.Wang@asm.ca.gov, (661) 286-1565